What is STRONG TOWNS?
Strong Towns is a media organization leading a national movement for change. We’re challenging every American to fundamentally rethink how our cities are built, and we’re shining a spotlight on an approach that will make us truly prosperous.
STRONG TOWNS PLATTSBURGH is a financial contributing member to STRONG TOWNS national movement and aligns itself with the organizations fundamental mission, principals, and values.
As advocates for a strong America, we know the following to be true:
- Strong cities, towns and neighborhoods cannot happen without strong citizens (people who care).
- Local government is a platform for strong citizens to collaboratively build a prosperous place.
- Financial solvency is a prerequisite for long term prosperity.
- Land is the base resource from which community prosperity is built and sustained. It must not be squandered.
- A transportation system is a means of creating prosperity in a community, not an end unto itself.
- Job creation and economic growth are the results of a healthy local economy, not substitutes for one.
There are no universal answers to the complex problems America’s cities, towns and neighborhoods face. At Strong Towns, we seek to discover rational ways to respond to these challenges. A Strong Towns approach:
- Relies on small, incremental investments (little bets) instead of large, transformative projects,
- Emphasizes resiliency of result over efficiency of execution,
- Is designed to adapt to feedback,
- Is inspired by bottom-up action (chaotic but smart) and not top-down systems (orderly but dumb),
- Seeks to conduct as much of life as possible at a personal scale, and
- Is obsessive about accounting for its revenues, expenses, assets and long term liabilities (do the math).